12/12/2010

About Going Postal

Everyone knowns that MTV is no more music television. Everybody also claims that it feeds us stupid shows and went away from its' first mission. But did anybody interested what does MTV really lack? I know you didn't , so I did the work for you. Not so long time ago -- yesterday evening I sat down in front of TV, prepared a huge doze of patience and chips, took a pencil in my hand and prepared a short list of what makes me going postal :

1. The Journalism 
Unfortunately, today's MTV program does not base on any kind of journalism. I wonder when was the last time when I saw anybody who works in there. Maybe those people do not want to confess that this is their job? I really feel like somebody is sitting on the other side of the glass monitor and plays music that even he is not interested in. Some kind of robot. Anyway, MTV offers no more programs about music, no interviews or even artists plans. You will not get a chance to find out if your favorite band prepares new album, but you will definitely see them smoking joint during the party. This is not a journalism, this is bullshit.  Such type of "news" could be found in any bolivars magazine. But the big media should be based on the work of journalists -- looking for information, trying find everything the audience wants, preparing authorized information. There are even less and less shows where even presenters are needed. This television seems to become more and more impersonal. 

2. The only one perfect kind of music
MTV plays the only right kind of music – music for the masses. During two hours of watching video clips, I was not able to see anything that I wouldn’t had known before. Pop, electronic, rap (?!), pop, electronic, rap. It offers very  narrow range of music, though it claims to hit the youth target.
Someone on the other side seems to forget that there are more than three kinds of music. And MTV- as a channel offering the boarding of music horizons, should especially promote new music movements (for example Trip Hop). It is getting more and more closed and makes the potential viewer more and more bored.
 
3. Reality shows
I do not understand what is going on with this trend. Really. I suppose that such TV shows bring the solution for  people with problems, the psychoanalysis is out!. Examples: Are you looking for a friend? No problem, join Paris Hilton's My New BFF. No one wants to party with you? Jersey Shore!  Do you feel alone in live? A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila or –so greedy— A Shot at Love with the Ikki Twins.   Reality shows are just a waste of time and waste of words, so no comments. 


Results? Impersonality, the boredom and peeping are not a formula for a success. 
These are my really subjective feelings of what MTV lacks. Do you agree with me? Or maybe do you found something different? Write, I will gladly argue : )

No comments:

Post a Comment